After the annulation of the election held in October 2019, discussions within the Dialogue Roundtable facilitated by the Episcopal Conference of Bolivia, the European Union and the Personal Envoy of the UN Secretary General, Jean Arnault, led to the signing of an agreement, requesting increased UN engagement in Bolivia. One pillar of the UN Initiative in Bolivia is the support to the Plurinational Electoral Organ (OEP) to hold transparent and credible elections.
Documentary – 2020 General Election (EN)
Documental – Elecciones Generales Bolivia 2020 (ES)
These videos show voting procedures with biosecurity measures, motivating citizens to exercise their democratic rights.
The spread of COVID-19 on the continent, and the planned measures to contain the virus have both constitutional and technical implications for the timing and administration of the elections in Somalia in an exceptionally complex environment. The NIEC has issued work-from-home orders to its staff. The Government has closed the country’s airspace both internally and externally. While most of Integrated Electoral Support Group’s (IESG) staff are working from home, including national staff, IESG continues to communicate internally and to provide daily technical support to NIEC staff across the broad spectrum of electoral activities, using the communications tools such as WebEx, Zoom and Microsoft teams.
The project is currently focused on the following:
• support to NIEC meetings with Joint Parliamentary Ad Hoc Committee on the Electoral Law; support NIEC to prepare its operational plan to present to the Parliament before end of May (according to the Electoral Law);
• review of NIEC Corporate Governance Framework in order to institutionalise Corporate Governance in the operations of the NIEC;
• support to NIEC to conduct public outreach activities through use of media including new media in its programming to support electoral process;
• continuation of support for construction of new NIEC compound and infrastructure;
• support to NESTF on preparing its workplan, conducting security assessment of the provisional voter registration sites in the Federal Member States (FMS) and in the Banadir Region, which will drive the preparations of the security operations budget;
• procurement of equipment and furniture for NIEC compound and NESTF operations.
Support to infrastructural development through building the Data Centre at the new NIEC compound is currently ongoing as is construction work by United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM)/ United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) on improving the security infrastructure at the compound. If the numbers affected by the pandemic increase in the country, it is likely that construction work will be halted.
Project's key figures
The Project is present in all 9 departments of Bolivia
Were invested in procurement of electoral material to replace items destroyed in the violent protest in October 2019
Total budget handled by the project
electoral dialogues are held a month
Both face-to-face and virtually
Subnational election's key figures
7 March 2021
Day of the elections
Number of registered voters
2020 General elections’ key figures
*set as a new date for 2020 general election after the postponement due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Luis Martinez-Betanzos, Chief Technical Advisor (spanish)
Salvador Romero, President of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal of Bolivia (spanish)
Luciana Mermet, Resident Representative UNDP Bolivia (spanish)
Susana Sottoli, Resident Coordinator, UN Bolivia (spanish)
Nataly Vargas, President of the Departamental Electoral Tribunal of Tarija (spanish)
Jörg Schreiber, Project officer, EU Delegation Bolivia (spanish)
Where we work
What we do
Our main focus areas :
- Technical Assistance
- Outreach/ stakeholder engagement (cultura de la paz)
- Procurement of electoral materials